Billy Joel stopped making pop albums 20 years ago but he continued to perform live.  Now, it seems that the Piano Man is considering ending his concert career as well.

The Australian news site News.com.au reports that while promoting his Stone Music Festival appearance in Sydney, Australia, next month, Joel said the event “will be a big test” to see if he wants to continue performing live. 

“I want to see if it’s time for me to get off the stage,” Billy explained.  “There’s a time when an athlete says I can’t swing the bat anymore.  So I get to feel it out…this will be a big test for me.”

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, who turns 64 in May, added that he can’t stand watching older artists performing their hits on TV when they can no longer hit the high notes and perform as well as they used to, and he’s determined not to join them in that sad spectacle.

“I don’t want to be that guy; I don’t want to be Spinal Tap,” he said.

There seems to be little danger of that.  Joel’s performance at the 12-12-12 Superstorm Sandy relief benefit last year — his most recent concert appearance — was considered one of the evening’s best.

Billy signed up for the first annual Stone Music Festival on April 21 because, he says, “It’s always fun to play Australia and I want to have fun now, have a good time.”   That appearance, as well as an April 27 gig at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, are his only scheduled shows this year.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio